Beloved Flower Lover,
It’s worth keeping in mind that some flowers can hurt the pets we love. Lilies & Cats are intoxicated by Lilies. Over recent years lily poisoning have become one of the most common poisoning of cats in the UK.
We have been looking over key floral research and since we have had a cat join our home studio we felt it necessary to remind you of the research.
Over the year it used to be permethrin flea products that cause most poisoning of Cats.
Acute renal failure has been known to arise in cats after eating or ingesting various members of the lilium genus since 1989 (Brady & Janovitz, 2000). In 2004 three Lilium species were documented to have produced toxicosis in cats.
The three species were: – Lilium longiflorum (Longi Lily), Lilium tigrium (Tiger Lily) and the Asiatic hybrids, however other lilies are listed by the National Animal Poison Control Centre in the USA.
Lilium longiflorum(Longi Lily)
Lilium tigrium(Tiger Lily)
Lilium speciosum rubrum( Rubrum Lily)
Lilium orientalis ( Oriental Lily)
Hemerocallis (Day Lilies)
Cats are very fussy eaters but they do have a tendency to ingest parts of the lily from leaves, flowers and most of all the pollen. The kidney is the principle organ that is targeted by the toxin with the cat dying of acute renal failure 3-6 days after the exposure. Clinical signs include depression, dehydration, increased urine, thirst, vomiting and anorexia.
Mortality from exposure is between 50 and 100% if treatment is not commenced before the onset of the clinical signs. Emergency treatment should be sought urgently, a vet should induce vomiting to empty the stomach and stop further toxin being absorbed, along with the administration of active charcoal to bind the toxins in the gut. Major intravenous fluid therapy will further help remove the toxins.
Cats coming into contact with the pollen should be shaved to remove the pollen from the coat hairs before they can groom themselves.
Advice for cat owners:-
Lilies are potentially lethal to cats if ingested.
All parts of lilies are thought to be toxic to cats.
The pollen bearing stamen should be removed from the flower, to stop cats contaminating their coats with the pollen and then ingesting during grooming.
Lilies should be placed where cats are NOT able to come into contact with them.
If cats have come into contact or eaten material from a lily emergency veterinary treatment should be sought immediately, if no treatment is sort 50-100% of cases prove fatal.
When transporting to the vets the cat should be prevented from grooming or the fur shaved to stop any further ingestion of the pollen.
Source: – Society of Floristry, Glen Cousquer BSc(hons) BVM&S Cert Zoo Med MRCVS
The London Flower Lover,
p.s. share, like, comment