Dear Flower lover
Flowers are a real force that can bring about warmth in any house turning it into a home.
Home May Be a House, but a House Is not Always a Home
A HOUSE is a structure or a dwelling.
HOME is a place where you live, love, and feel welcome. It is the place you look forward to going at the end of the day. It is comfort, safety and stability. It may be a flat in a high-rise building, a dilapidated shack, a mansion or a split-level in the suburbs, but it is always a place where you feel safe and comfortable. Conversely, just because a place is yours or because your family lives there, does not necessarily make a place a Home.
“Home is where the heart is.” We are sure you have heard this before, or some variation of it.
The difference between a house and home
A house is a structure or a dwelling the has walls and a roof. There are many houses.
A home is the people in it … they care about each other, are loyal, laugh together, play together and are normally happy, but not without some trials and tribulations along the way. It’s the way family acts towards each other that either just makes it a house (wood, stone, siding, etc.) or a home with great personalities.
Flower can help to bring emotions into a house. In a series of studies, Haviland-Jones et al report that:
- When women were given flowers, they always responded with a ‘real’ duchenne smile, and reported more positive moods three days later.
- When men or women were given a flower, they responded with a duchenne smile and engaged in more pro- social activities (compared to control conditions of being given a pen or nothing).
- Flowers given to elderly people resulted in more positive mood and improved episodic memory!
The researchers also reported other “unusual emotional displays that they were unprepared to measure,” (4, p122), including:
- Hugs and kisses.
- Invitations to participants’ homes for refreshments.
- ‘Thank you’ cards and letters – some with photographic evidence of the continuing beauty of the bouquet.
With all that in mind, we are open to imagine what putting flowers in the house can do? What could happen if flowers where left in the hallway, or other key parts of the house.
How would flowers affirm the house and help create the home. Affirming loveliness.
If you are having a house warming, or generally want to add warmth to where you live. Use the power of flowers to bring out the warm emotions.
We invite you to let flowers shift your house into home.
From the Team
The London Flower Lover